Parasites are responsible for the diseases of both pets and their owners!

In general, if you experience symptoms such as general weakness, abdominal pain, vomiting, headache, coughing, muscle aches, shortness of breath, changes in eyes, redness on the skin … make sure you visit your doctor and note that you have been in contact with your pet. to other animals or insects.

The parasite world is a special world and we are learning more about it, although parasite and parasitism are not nice words and often cause discomfort. But it is a normal natural occurrence. Parasites are generally organisms that feed on another organism. The other organism is their host, and it is often difficult to tolerate changes that occur to it. We usually talk about parasite diseases with very severe symptoms. Sometimes, the parasite in the host does not cause changes. Scientists at the University of Edinburgh have come to the conclusion that some parasites live in the host on a “Trojan horse” principle. Interestingly, the parasite enters its genetic material into the host and thus prevents the host immune system from destroying it.

To make it easier to describe and distinguish them, scientists have divided the parasites into groups according to the number of hosts in which they parasite, the time they spend on the host, relative to the host, and finally by where they parasite on the host. Parasites can live in or on the host.

In this article, we will address the parasites of our pets. On our pets we most often see parasites from a group of insects (eg fleas, scabies, etc.), but unfortunately, we do not see internally (eg tapeworms). Sometimes we see only some stages of development of internal parasites on the pet (articles). Parasites transmit each other (vectors), for example, flea transmits tapeworms, and ticks transmit very dangerous unicellular parasites (eg babesia).

Parasites are responsible for the diseases of both pets and their owners!
There are several major pet parasites that every owner and veterinarian must pay attention to. Outside there are mosquitoes, fleas, ticks and shrubs, and inside there are tapeworms, earthworms and protozoa. They cause and transmit pet diseases that are easier and more serious, but it is important to note their owners as well.

One of the most common parasitic invasions of pets by external parasites is arrogance. Fleas are bloodshed in younger, older and sick individuals, causing more severe changes in the form of itching (with extreme discomfort and biting of one’s body), redness, and sometimes transmit causes of extremely serious illnesses that can cause death. Fortunately, the proper and timely use of insecticides can be easily resolved.

Ticks are a very widespread group of mites that transmit pathogens to severe systemic diseases in humans and animals. There have been many articles written about babesiosis (pyroplasmosis) in dogs, but it is important to repeat that it is a very serious illness that, if left untreated, can cause death. It is important to note that, given the breadth of pathogens of tick-borne diseases (viruses, rickets, babesias), the onset of disease symptoms in humans such as general weakness, fever, muscle and joint pain, headaches, nausea, vomiting, and skin changes (various rash form) requires physician intervention. If pets become uninterested in the environment, refuse food and water, do not want to go out and are simply “not their own”, they need to see a veterinarian right away who will diagnose and start treatment.

Pets and parasite cleaning

In practice, we daily encounter newly acquired pets (kittens, puppies, birds). It is mandatory for all young animals to be cleared of internal parasites as well. Treatment should be started as soon as possible (kittens as early as 10 to 14 days old) and the full regimen depends on the instructions of the product manufacturer. Internal parasites of dogs and cats can infect adults and children. In humans, dogworm larvae (Toxocara canis) only migrate and do not mature in it. Visceral toxocariasis occurs primarily in children aged 18 months to three years. They are most commonly infected by soil or in puppy play when the worm eggs reach the baby’s mouth. In their digestive organs, the larva is released, pierced by the intestinal wall and distributed throughout the body with blood. The larva can reach all organs and enter them (lungs, liver, brain or eye). This can have lasting consequences. Negligent owners who do not collect their dogs’ feces, and whose dogs do emergency work in the area where children play, are directly responsible for the onset of the disease!

Humans are invaded by the larvae of the small dog tapeworm (Echinococcus granulosus). Larvae are also trapped in certain parts of the body, which sometimes ends up fatal. This is echinococcosis, a parasitic disease that is suppressed within the legal framework.

In general, for symptoms such as general weakness, abdominal pain, vomiting, headache, coughing, muscle aches, shortness of breath, changes in eyes, redness on the skin and any symptoms, be sure to see a doctor and note that you have been in contact with a pet , to other animals or insects.

But it’s not all that black. What we can do is provide timely protection and treatment. When purchasing a pet, be sure to consult your veterinarian. Listen to what is being said to you and do not take preventative and parasitic treatment into your own hands. It looks very simple, but there is an extremely high possibility of choosing the wrong medicine, dose and time of administration! Particular attention must also be paid to the parasite’s resistance to the active substances and their consequent inefficiency.

It is up to you to enjoy your pets and let the experts take care of you and your pet’s health.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *